18 April 2010

Win Tickets To Baltimore City Paper Beer Fest April 24th!

Thanks to the courtesy and generosity of the Baltimore City Paper and the fact that I have two other commitments that date, I am able to offer two tickets to the City Paper Brew Fest this Saturday, April 24th, being held rain or shine 1-5 PM on the square at the foot of Broadway in Fells Point--yes, outside Max's Taphouse, Bertha's, Jimmy's Diner, and the rest.  Retail value:  $60. 

To win the tickets, I'm going to run a different kind of contest:  I have before me a copy of "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die."  I'm looking through it myself; stay tuned for a fuller review.

I want each entrant to name six beers they would add to a new edition of such a list, and a brief clause as to why they nominate each of the six beers.  To make it more challenging, I'm going to ask you to exclude any beer above 8.0%--this is perhaps the easiest way to automatically eliminate any of the "extreme" and "holy grail" beers (Thomas Hardy's, Samichlaus, Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, etc.).  I'm looking for nominees that make me think, not just a braggart's check list.



Of course, my selection will be completely subjective.  If you don't like that, I'll have my wife pick a winner.  So write and select to impress.

NOTES:  The winner will have to either pick up the tickets from me on Friday, or pick up the tickets at another location (probably Max's Taphouse) on Saturday.  I intend to select a winner during the Max's Taphouse's new draft kick-off event on Thursday the 22nd; if you're there and see me at my laptop, check in with me.


Disclaimer:  Anyone I can identify as employees of the City Paper or participating breweries are ineligible, as is Drinky Crow..........

1 comment:

jmooy said...

Southern Tier Pumpking - 7.9%

Awesome pumpkin beer from a fantastic brewery. Doesn't hit you in the face, but the aroma is outstanding. This is fall in a glass.

St. Bernardus Tripel - 8%

One of the best Tripels out there from a non-Trappist brewery.

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye - 8%

Awesome, awesome, awesome Rye Pale Ale. This is what a lot of the Rye Ales have to live up to and it's a tough one to beat in my book.

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock - 6.7%

Really an amazing and complex Doppelbock, it's such a great drink. This beer along with Adventinus reawakened my love of German style beers.

Goose Island Sofie - 6.5%

A Saison ale aged in Pinot Noir Wine barrels that make it really tasty and unique amongst Saisons.

Stillwater Artisinal Ales Stateside Saison - 6.8%

Gotta give it up for a hometown guy! Another great Saison, with a distinctive American twist. Stillwater is making some quality beer and I think the futre is going to have some great stuff from them.