11 April 2009

News from Pratt St. Ale House

I just received a lengthy e-mail from Stephen Jones of Oliver/Pratt Street. It's very long with way too many details--some of which will probably be held aside for Mid-Atlantic Brewing News--but I wanted to pass on new developments as soon as possible:
As you know, cask ale is my passion so to promote it, Tuesday night at the Pratt St. Alehouse will be Cask Ale Appreciation Night with $3 cask pints after 5pm. I encourage patrons to come early and have a beer with the brewer...I'll be around for an hour or so after I've finished my brewing day. I'm hoping that it will generate enough interest to justify putting a cask on the bar from time to time and also inviting some guest brewers/casks along. I've just taken delivery of some kilderkins and am hoping to purchase some auto-tilt stillage systems in the very near future. We're investing heavily in our cask system and will promote it at every opportunity.

As you may know, last week we held the judging for the C.R.A.B.S / Oliver Breweries Homebrew Competition, in which 13 homebrewers offered their versions of my Best Bitter using my recipe and yeast. Judging was very enjoyable and the winner will be announced next Wednesday at an awards party at the Alehouse. We hope to make this an annual event with the club choosing a different one of my recipes to brew each time with the most authentic being judged the winner.We intend to run an additional homebrew competition towards the end of the year to coincide with the Baltimore Beer Week. We invite homebrewers to submit a beer that can be commercially brewed at my brewery and the winning homebrewer will be invited to brew the beer at the Pratt St. Alehouse and the beer will not only be on tap at the Alehouse as a seasonal offering but will also be made available at the Brewer's Association Oktoberfest and at the Chesepeake Real Ale Fest. Full details will be posted on our web site in the near future.

Our latest seasonal offering will be on tap very soon. Cherry Blossom Ale will make a welcome return after a number of years hiatus and will be available throughout the Spring and early Summer. I'll also be brewing a Biere de Garde (at least an Englishman's version of said style) in the very near future. The Hot Monkey Love (barley wine) is on the brewing schedule for next week and will make its debut at the Real Ale Fest in October where I will offer an oak aged version alongside a regular cask...should be interesting!

Also noted: the new cask pump system has its own separate glycol cooling system to hold and serve the cask ales at the proper temperature.

No comments: