18 November 2009

Extreme Beers in the Washington Post

Mid-Atlantic Brewing News editor and Washington Post columnist Greg Kitsock does a Washington Post column on the topic I asked about a short while back, extreme beers.

I was the source of his sample of BrewDog's Nanny State, shipped over for our sampling pleasure (or lack thereof?) by the Scottish brewery.

As for my own thoughts about extreme beers, I feel the whole extreme beer movement is best summarized by this "The City" cartoon by alt-comic cartoonist John Backderf, or Derf (reprinted with permission--and even he no longer has the original in his files); just substitute the latest hop-bomb or exotic-ingredient beer for the game and the beer geeks for the kid:

  (Click on the above image for an enlarged version.)



4 comments:

Brad said...

Finally had the Exit 1 Oyster Stout from Flying Fish earlier in the week. Certainly one of the most "extreme" beers I've had in recent memory.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV said...

And of course you brought back a bottle for me to sample, right, Brad?

Brad said...

Of course! Now if only I could locate it...

Alexander D. Mitchell IV said...

First, look next to the other New Jersey beers you have.

Next, look among the stouts.

No luck? Look next to the oysters.