03 June 2010

Charles Village Festival Beer Garden

I got a heads-up to a possible "sleeper" beer event in Baltimore this weekend, for those looking for a good time that isn't beer-centric yet still offers respite for the beer aficionado.

The Charles Village Festival is this weekend, June 5-6, and includes a beer tent serviced by a beer truck with taps.  The festival's beer organizer/wrangler, a fellow aficionado, gave me a heads-up that he has procured several much-better-than-average-city-festival beers, donated by or procured from the better beer retailers in Baltimore.

The festival is being held in Wyman Park Dell, the 16-acre park surrounded by 29th St., Charles Street, the Baltimore Museum of Art, and Wyman Park Drive, 11-9 Saturday and 11-6 Sunday.

3 comments:

JohnM. said...

"The festival's beer organizer/wrangler, a fellow aficionado, gave me a heads-up that he has procured several much-better-than-average-city-festival beers."

While that sounds hopeful, is there some reason he can't divulge what those beers are going to be? I went to the website, but could find very little regarding the festival (the music acts are listed, but not much else). I don't mean to sound suspicious Alex, but in the past at least, "beer tent serviced by beer truck" has typically meant one distributor pouring his/her line of macro swill products (mich, ultra, bud and bud lite if it's AB; miller, MGD, coor light, etc., if it's Miller-Coors, etc. Maybe for good measure the distributor might throw in Yuengling for the more "sophisiticated" drinkers).

Perhaps that won't be the case for this event, but it's only a couple days away, so you'd think the organizer/wrangler could provide more specific information at this point.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV said...

I had a "short list" rattled off to me, which I can't find now--I recall Magic Hat and Dogfish being on the list. I asked the organizer to update me with an e-mailed list, but we've all seen the hazard of a beer festival "promising" some beer and it not arriving or getting handed off properly. As I recall, he was saying that beer kegs had been set aside by The Wine Source, Wells, and Max's; since these are donations to a public festival rather than a beer-geek festival, you're going to get what gets handed to you by the vendor trying to make a little room, not what the brewery keeps stashed aside to show off at a beer-geek festival.

But trust me: This guy hates "dumbed-down" beers as much as you and I do. He's not taking BudMillerCoors. He'll have MAYBE one or two "general purpose" beers for the people who are still slaves to industrial-lager mass marketing out of fourteen promised. Maybe.

I'm thinking one of the more pedestrian beers promised was Yuengling Black & Tan........

JohnM. said...

Sounds promising. Thanks!